Lautoka Port Guide
Collected by Edward Readicker-Henderson , AFAR Local Expert
Sugar once drove the Lautoka economy, and processing sugarcane remains vital. The sugar mill was originally built in 1903, and it’s been making hummingbirds and couch potatoes very happy ever since. Cane is harvested, then crushed to extract the...
5 Tavewa Ave, Lautoka, Fiji
Best seen in early afternoon, when the puja (worship) is going on, or at twilight, when the setting sun makes stones glitter, this temple shows the strong influence of Indian culture and religion in Fiji. Sri Krishna Kaliya is an important place...
Only 15 kilometers (nine miles) from Lautoka’s hustle and bustle is something found almost nowhere else in the South Pacific: a fully protected and unlogged cloud forest. Hike to the top of the mountain for an endless blue-green view of all the...
Holika Rd, Nadi, Fiji
At the edge of Koroyanitu National Heritage Park is the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, founded by the late, great actor Raymond Burr—most famous as the namesake of TV’s Perry Mason (and, to the generation that grew up on Saturday TV movies, he’s...
If you’re after fancy food, this isn’t the place. But if you want a real meal before you hit the main event—the cakes that are the Boatshed’s specialty—you’re covered. This café’s baked goods show that the locals know exactly what to do with what...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May