Lautoka Port Guide
Collected by edward readicker-henderson, AFAR Local Expert
Sugar once drove the Lautoka economy, and processing sugarcane remains vital. The sugar mill was originally built in 1903, and it’s been making hummingbirds and couch potatoes very happy ever since. Cane is harvested, then crushed to extract the...
5 Tavewa Ave, Lautoka, Fiji
Best seen in early afternoon, when the puja (worship) is going on, or at twilight, when the setting sun makes stones glitter, this temple shows the strong influence of Indian culture and religion in Fiji. Sri Krishna Kaliya is an important place...
Only 15 kilometers (nine miles) from Lautoka’s hustle and bustle is something found almost nowhere else in the South Pacific: a fully protected and unlogged cloud forest. Hike to the top of the mountain for an endless blue-green view of all the...
Holika Rd, Nadi, Fiji
At the edge of Koroyanitu National Heritage Park is the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, founded by the late, great actor Raymond Burr—most famous as the namesake of TV’s Perry Mason (and, to the generation that grew up on Saturday TV movies, he’s...
If you’re after fancy food, this isn’t the place. But if you want a real meal before you hit the main event—the cakes that are the Boatshed’s specialty—you’re covered. This café’s baked goods show that the locals know exactly what to do with what...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter
- 5 Air Travel Travelers’ Biggest Pet Peeves Ranked