Laos - Luang Prabang
Collected by AFAR Explorer
73/5, Luang Prabang, Laos
The shamanic Tai-Lao people mastered the ikat tie-dye technique centuries ago, weaving a single, continuous silk thread into exquisitely patterned scarves. This three-day class gives the literal ins and outs of the process, from cocoon silk...
79 Sakkaline Rd, Luang Prabang, Laos
Passa Paa, a sister shop to Ock Pop Tok, sells handicrafts inspired by Hmong batik, traditionally an indigo cloth covered in intricate symbols. In the studio, you can watch artists silkscreen updated versions of those designs onto everything from...
Ban, Sakkaline Rd, ຫຼວງພະບາງ, Laos
Part of Sofitel’s MGallery collection, 3 Nagas is an intimate French Colonial–style property with 15 rooms spread across two whitewashed villas. Seven are located in the circa-1898 Lamache House, which once held the official ice cream...
Sakarine Road Luang Prabang, Luang Prabang 06000, Laos
The restaurant Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene represents both sides of modern Laotian culture: Large white umbrellas offer a hint of Paris, while Buddhist metal gongs nod to the national religion. Order a lip-puckering tarte au citron with an espresso made...
Ban Mano Rd, Luang Prabang, Laos
From November to April, low waters in the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers reveal islets like Cucumber Island, which turns into Luang Prabang’s biggest play- ground. A one-minute, 60-cent ferry ride will get you there—watch for the brightly painted...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum