Laos - Luang Prabang
Collected by AFAR Explorer
73/5, Luang Prabang, Laos
The shamanic Tai-Lao people mastered the ikat tie-dye technique centuries ago, weaving a single, continuous silk thread into exquisitely patterned scarves. This three-day class gives the literal ins and outs of the process, from cocoon silk...
79 Sakkaline Rd, Luang Prabang, Laos
Passa Paa, a sister shop to Ock Pop Tok, sells handicrafts inspired by Hmong batik, traditionally an indigo cloth covered in intricate symbols. In the studio, you can watch artists silkscreen updated versions of those designs onto everything from...
Ban, Sakkaline Rd, ຫຼວງພະບາງ, Laos
The 3 Nagas MGallery by Sofitel, a boutique hotel, occupies three renovated UNESCO World Heritage buildings. Built in 1898, the buildings were first used by the royal court, then converted to an ice cream shop before becoming a hotel. Learn to...
Sakarine Road Luang Prabang, Luang Prabang 06000, Laos
The restaurant Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene represents both sides of modern Laotian culture: Large white umbrellas offer a hint of Paris, while Buddhist metal gongs nod to the national religion. Order a lip-puckering tarte au citron with an espresso made...
Ban Mano Rd, Luang Prabang, Laos
From November to April, low waters in the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers reveal islets like Cucumber Island, which turns into Luang Prabang’s biggest play- ground. A one-minute, 60-cent ferry ride will get you there—watch for the brightly painted...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 4 Natural Wonders A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico