Collected by AFAR Traveler
Arashiyama Genrokuzancho, Ukyō-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 616-0007, Japan
In western Kyoto, there is a very large forest of bamboo. As you can see in the photo, the shoots grow very tall, making those who stroll by look quite small. I'm sure there are times when this road is crowded, but when we were there, people were...
1 Kinkakujichō, Kita-ku, Kyōto-shi, Kyōto-fu 603-8361, Japan
The Golden Temple in Western Kyoto is one of the most frequently visited sites in the city. It is beautiful and I'm glad I had the chance to see it again (I was here before as a young child) but I prefer the smaller, less touristy temples where...
Tetsugaku-no-michi, Jōdoji Ishibashichō, Sakyō-ku, Kyōto-shi, Kyōto-fu 606-8406, Japan
Summers in Kyoto can be hot and humid. But one easy way to beat the heat is to have a shave ice. Many unusal flavors are on offer but we typically chose the cherry or green tea. You can find the vendors outside all the most popular temples. And...
2 Ginkakujichō, Sakyō-ku, Kyōto-shi, Kyōto-fu 606-8402, Japan
November is the time for luck in japan. In Kyoto, the temples are crowded with Japanese school trips to pray for good grades. You have to be creative to find the quiet. http://havefunflysafe.com/2013/05/05/things-i-have-learned-in-kyoto-japan/.
- 1 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 2 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 3 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign