Killybegs Top 5
Collected by Aoife O Riordain , AFAR Contributor
The histories of fishing and carpet-making come together under one roof in this center where Killybegs’s most important industries are explained to visitors. Donegal Carpets grace the floors of Buckingham Palace, the Oval Office of the White House...
Slieve League, Shanbally, Co. Donegal, Ireland
You will need a head for heights to visit Slieve League; at 600 meters (2,000 feet), these are the fifth-tallest sea cliffs in Europe. What makes them so special is that they are also some of the most accessible ones. Nearly three times higher...
Dooey, Glencolumbkille, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Named after Saint Columba, Glencolmcille is set in a small coastal valley against a backdrop of magnificent mountain scenery. A few minutes outside the village, the cluster of small cottages of Glencolmcille Folk Village gives visitors a window...
3 Main St, Belleek, Enniskillen BT93 3FY, UK
One of Ireland’s most celebrated luster-finished chinas comes from Belleek Pottery, which is set on the banks of the River Erne just over the border in Northern Ireland’s County Fermanagh. The visitor center charts the beginnings of the pottery...
Saint Helenes, 11 Castle St, Milltown, Donegal, F94 E3W5, Ireland
The heart of Donegal Town is dominated by this imposing castle on the banks of the River Eske—and it offers a fascinating glimpse into Ireland’s complex history. First built in the 15th century by the local Irish chieftain, Red Hugh O’Donnell, the...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum