Collected by Soni Ramesar
Poovar, Kerala 695525, India
After two weeks of being held hostage by the urban chaos of Mumbai and Kochi, I was in serious need of sensory detoxification. I hired a car and driver and went 250 kilometers south of Kochi to a small coastal village called Poovar. There flows...
Kavanattinkara, Kumarakom, Kerala 686563, India
If you are looking for tropical paradise, look no farther than the Vivanta by Taj resort in Kumarakom. Located in the Kerala Backwaters, this resort is nestled beside a bird sanctuary on the Vembanadu lake. With private bungalows complete with...
Parade Road, Fort Kochi, Kochi, 682001, India
The first of Fort Cochin’s heritage hotels, the Malabar House has been in operation since 1996, though its history dates all the way back to 1755, when it was commissioned by a Dutchman. Today the boutique hotel is one of the most...
Church Road, Pallathuruthy, Kainakary South, Kerala 688505, India
The word that keeps coming to mind when I remember my trip through the Kerala backwaters in India is "languid." I took three kinds of boat rides through these tropical waterways in south India: canoe, motorboat, and house boat. The canoe was my...
Near Udupi Sri Krishna Swamy Temple, Thondankulangara, Avaloonkkunnu, Thondankulangara, Alappuzha, Kerala 688006, India
Most travelers come into Alleppey to rent a houseboat and spend the night in the backwaters of Kerala. That's a great experience, but Allepey is a small south Indian town that is friendly to tourists. One can "get local" with a stop at Uduppi's...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum