Collected by Matt Gibson , AFAR Local Expert
Exotic places to go for a paddle.
Lake Nicaragua, Nicaragua
Guests at Jicaro Island Ecolodge, a nine-casita resort in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, can kayak around the lake's 365 islets which formed when the Mombacho volcano erupted thousands of years ago. Early morning is the best time for spotting birds...
19/27 Moo 6, Soi Wasana, road T. Rawai, A. Mueang, ถนน วิเศษ ตำบล ราไวย์ Phuket, ภูเก็ต 83130, Thailand
Off the coast of Phuket, Thailand, in the Andaman Sea, a string of small islands plays host to a series of spectacular sea caves. Your guide will assist you, navigating your kayak between towering stone walls through a maze of narrow rock...
Street 1;Village Matka, Village Matka 1000, Macedonia (FYROM)
Matka Canyon, Macedonia: Since there weren’t any signs and we didn’t quite know what we were getting into, we should have brought more things from the car—like cash for tipping a boat driver. We took the meandering path along the edge of a...
As someone born and raised in Austin, Texas I was shocked that West Texas had so much to offer and that I had not visited sooner. The small, but cowboy chic, Terlingua Ghost Town just outside the National Park made a great place for brunch before...
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign