Kavala's Top 5
Collected by Andrew Bostock , AFAR Contributor
EO12, Kavala 640 03, Greece
Philippi was named after Philip II of Macedon, most famous as the father of Alexander the Great, but its main fame is from later years. Here in 42BC a battle was fought between the assassins of Julius Caesar and the future emperor Augustus, that...
Δημοκρίτου, Xanthi 671 00, Greece
The cobbled streets of the Old Town of Xanthi are lined with mansions that show an intriguing mix of neoclassic and Ottoman styles, and its attractive squares and Byzantine churches make it feel like an open-air museum. The Turkish influence is...
Isidorou 29, Kavala 652 01, Greece
Built by the Byzantines, the citadel has crenellated walls that boast excellent views down to the azure waters of the harbor below, as well as the usual ramparts and dungeons to explore. You'll walk through the Panagia, the old town, on your way...
Kon/nou Paleologou, Kavala 654 03, Greece
Get insight into one of the main sources of Kavála’s wealth at this museum where you'll learn how the local crop and the superb natural harbor made the city a commercial superpower during the 19th century. Various exhibits take you through the...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May