Kalmar's Top 5
Collected by Lola (Akinmade) Åkerström , AFAR Local Expert
Kungsgatan 1, 392 33 Kalmar, Sweden
Rising out of the surrounding lush, flat landscape are the pretty pastel-colored turrets of the 12th-century Kalmar Castle. In 1397, the Kalmar Union was signed here—a treaty that brought Sweden, Norway and Denmark together under a single...
Skeppsbrogatan 51, 392 31 Kalmar, Sweden
Located in an impressively gargantuan building that was once the city’s steam plant, the Kalmar County Museum chronicles the history of Kalmar and its surrounding area, including the island of Öland on its eastern coast. Explore its flagship...
Ölandskajen 11, 392 31 Kalmar, Sweden
A stone’s throw from Kalmar Castle is the city’s tiny old town—Gamla Stan—with narrow, winding lanes and well-preserved 17th-century red-and-white cottages and buildings. The original medieval town burned down in the 1600s. The city council at the...
STORTORGET, 392 32 Kalmar, Sweden
Historic Kalmar Cathedral and its classic Baroque architecture loom over Stortorget (the Old Town Square) across from the town hall. Construction began in the late 1660s and continued on despite various disruptions—including a war—until its...
387 22 Borgholm, Sweden
Travel across the six-kilometer-long Öland Bridge (one of the longest in Scandinavia) to the island of Öland and find Sweden’s most impressive castle ruins. After 800 years of history, Borgholm Castle was razed by a fire in 1806; but today, its...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Art The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum