Kalmar's Top 5
Collected by Lola (Akinmade) Åkerström , AFAR Local Expert
Kungsgatan 1, 392 33 Kalmar, Sweden
Rising out of the surrounding lush, flat landscape are the pretty pastel-colored turrets of the 12th-century Kalmar Castle. In 1397, the Kalmar Union was signed here—a treaty that brought Sweden, Norway and Denmark together under a single...
Skeppsbrogatan 51, 392 31 Kalmar, Sweden
Located in an impressively gargantuan building that was once the city’s steam plant, the Kalmar County Museum chronicles the history of Kalmar and its surrounding area, including the island of Öland on its eastern coast. Explore its flagship...
Ölandskajen 11, 392 31 Kalmar, Sweden
A stone’s throw from Kalmar Castle is the city’s tiny old town—Gamla Stan—with narrow, winding lanes and well-preserved 17th-century red-and-white cottages and buildings. The original medieval town burned down in the 1600s. The city council at the...
STORTORGET, 392 32 Kalmar, Sweden
Historic Kalmar Cathedral and its classic Baroque architecture loom over Stortorget (the Old Town Square) across from the town hall. Construction began in the late 1660s and continued on despite various disruptions—including a war—until its...
387 22 Borgholm, Sweden
Travel across the six-kilometer-long Öland Bridge (one of the longest in Scandinavia) to the island of Öland and find Sweden’s most impressive castle ruins. After 800 years of history, Borgholm Castle was razed by a fire in 1806; but today, its...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May