Collected by AFAR Explorer
3 Chome-3-2 Nihonbashi, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 103-0027, Japan
“New spa fads pop up all the time in trend-obsessed Japan, where bathing is almost an art form. Rakuzaya, a women-only Western-style salon, is known for its germanium mineral baths, a craze that took off after Japanese celebrities swore by their...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Nihonbashihonchō, 3 Chome−6−２ 小津本館ビル 1F
Learn to mash your own washi, traditional japanese paper, at Ozu Washi, where masters have made sheets from the fibers of kozo (mulberry) and other native plants since 1653. Or, skip the DIY and just buy the final product from the floor-to-ceiling...
8 Chome-7-先 Ginza, Chūō, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan
How did 18th-century shoguns keep their robes lint free? With a brush from Edoya, where the twelfth generation of the Hamada family still makes brushes for every imaginable purpose, such as applying kabuki makeup (use the goat-hair hake brush) or...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tokyo, Chūō, 日本橋本町４－１－３
Belly up to the bar at Tenmo, the 107-year-old new kid on the block. Chef Shusuke Okuda will tell the story of tempura—introduced by portuguese seafarers in the 16th century—as he batters local specialties, including prawns and persimmon leaves. ...
Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Shibuya is a center of Japanese fashion, culture, color, noise, and light. Harajuku girls? They're in Shibuya. Manga? Find it in Shibuya. Biggest scramble crossing in the world? Sit at the Starbucks in Shibuya and marvel at the madness below. You...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December