Collected by Lynne Nieman
Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy
I had been skeptical of the Venetian gondola ride, thinking it too touristy and overpriced. Last summer, however, I discovered what is so special about this Venetian tradition. A gondola ride provides a unique view of Venice from the quiet...
53100 Siena, Province of Siena, Italy
I am a sucker for architecture. Especially old architecture...Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque. And churches are the best representation of these styles. Europe is filled with cool churches and Italy takes the cake. I got up close to the cathedral in...
Riomaggiore SP, Italy
Hiking the Cinque Terre is an extraordinary way to explore the Ligurian Coast. Five villages connected only by hiking trail and rail with breathtaking coastal views and colorfully quaint villages. The trails can be challenging at times and it is...
23829 Varenna LC, Italy
When I traveled to Lago di Como (Lake Como), I stayed in the town of Bellagio. One morning, I took the ferry to Varenna. As I walked a path by the lake, I entered a covered part of the path that was cool and dark. There were open places along this...
56048 Volterra, Province of Pisa, Italy
Make the steep ascent to this walled hilltop town and you’ll find yourself transported back in time—to the Renaissance, medieval, Roman, and even ancient Etruscan periods. Thought to be founded as far back as the 7th century B.C.E., Volterra is a...
- 1Air TravelTSA Implements New Carry-On Rules for Powders
- 2Travel TipsHow to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)
- 3PhotographySweden’s Magical Midsommar Festival Is Straight out of a Fairy Tale
- 4Travel NewsAustria’s New James Bond Museum Is a Spectacular Secret Lair High in the Alps
- 5Luxury AdventureHow to Glamp Under the Midnight Sun in Norway This Summer