Invergordon (Inverness) Top 10
Collected by Ann Shields , AFAR Staff
Culloden Moor, Inverness IV2 5EU, UK
After marching within 100 miles of London to restore the Stuart monarchy to the British throne, Jacobite supporters, led by Bonnie Prince Charlie, retreated to this site near Inverness in 1746. Here at Culloden, they were slaughtered by forces...
Castle Wynd, Inverness IV2 3EB, UK
This compact museum has a very good overview of Highland history. One focus is the Gaelic language, the ancient civilizing Celtic tongue brought here from Ireland by 5th-century pilgrims and monks. The Celts assimilated the Picts, who left behind...
High St, Rosemarkie, Fortrose IV10 8UF, UK
Located in Rosemarkie, this museum is dedicated primarily to the most prominent group of prehistoric people in Scotland, the Picts. They first appeared in historical records around 297 C.E. when described by a Roman adventurer, but their origins...
Dornie, Kyle of Lochalsh IV40 8DX, UK
Eilean Donan is the über-castle of the Highlands, perched on a rocky islet in a tidal loch on the road to the Isle of Skye. After crossing an arched stone bridge, visitors may recognize the setting from such films as Highlander and The World...
B9090, Cawdor, Nairn IV12 5RD, UK
This castle is often associated with Shakespeare's Macbeth because the title character was the Thane of Cawdor. The connection, however, is pure artistic license—Cawdor's enormous tower was built in about 1450, several centuries after the real...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum