Indonesia Study Abroad
Collected by Ariana Chomitz
Ubud, Bedulu, Blahbatuh, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali, Indonesia
Rejang dancers make haste to catch up with the procession going to Goa Gajah, the sacred Elephant Caves outside of Ubud, Bali. They will be one of the many ritual performances that celebrate the temple's odalan, or anniversary.
Metra Kaja, Yangapi, Tembuku, Bangli Regency, Bali, Indonesia
On the shoulders of Bali’s most sacred mountain is perched its Mother Temple, Pura Besakih, a complex of 23 sacred buildings. Several times annually, pilgrims flock here from around the island—on the backs of motorbikes, in buses and...
Petulu, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
Outside of Ubud in the still-quiet country, the father of a friend wades through a sea of green, taking care of his family's ricefields. He is the last of his line to work in the sawah, or rice paddies. His son has graduated college and works on a...
After taking classes for a month, I am deemed worthy enough to perform the traditional Balinese Welcome Dance in front of a gathering of friends. After adequately performing a dance that any eight year old Balinese girl could do, the following act...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Air Travel AFAR Readers Reveal Their Favorite U.S. Airports
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter