In Pursuit of Powder
Collected by Jen Murphy, AFAR Contributor
Lone Mountain, Big Sky, MT 59720, USA
Big Sky ski resort in Montana has 3,600 acres to play on. One of my favorite spots to snowboard on a good powder day is the bowl that sits 1,366 feet below Lone Mountain's summit. Take the Lone Peak triple chair up and traverse as far over as...
3920 Zermatt, Switzerland
Just as Rome has the Colosseum and Paris the Eiffel Tower, so Switzerland has the Matterhorn. Located above Zermatt, this 48,195-foot wonder attracts hordes of visitors, eager to see the morning sunlight beam off its four faces, ski its...
Big Jay, Montgomery, VT 05471, USA
Most of Vermont may be lacking snow, but after a 40 minute hike up Big Jay mountain my friends and I were rewarded with lots of powder to play in as we skied back down to Route 242. Note for next year: remember to park a car at the base, or else...
100 Northstar Dr, Truckee, CA 96161, USA
For family-oriented skiing—plus tons of other outdoor winter activities—Northstar is a winner. The resort’s sprawling village features a 9,000-square-foot outdoor skating rink surrounded by fire pits and cabana bars; a...
- 1Restaurants + CafésThe Best Farm-to-Table Restaurants for a Fall Harvest Feast
- 2Travel NewsThe Best Meteor Shower of the Year Peaks This Weekend
- 3Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 4MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights
- 5Where to Go in FallAn Expert Guide to Working Remotely and Traveling the World