In Pursuit of Powder
Collected by Jen Murphy , AFAR Contributor
Lone Mountain, Big Sky, MT 59720, USA
Big Sky ski resort in Montana has 3,600 acres to play on. One of my favorite spots to snowboard on a good powder day is the bowl that sits 1,366 feet below Lone Mountain's summit. Take the Lone Peak triple chair up and traverse as far over as...
3920 Zermatt, Switzerland
It's a long journey to the village of Zermatt, Switzerland. A village magically situated at the base of iconic Matterhorn. We arrived after driving hours of precariously winding alpine roads, followed by an enchanting but just as precarious train...
Big Jay, Montgomery, VT 05471, USA
Most of Vermont may be lacking snow, but after a 40 minute hike up Big Jay mountain my friends and I were rewarded with lots of powder to play in as we skied back down to Route 242. Note for next year: remember to park a car at the base, or else...
100 Northstar Dr, Truckee, CA 96161, USA
For family-oriented skiing—plus tons of other outdoor winter activities—Northstar is a winner. The resort’s sprawling village features a 9,000-square-foot outdoor skating rink surrounded by fire pits and cabana bars; a...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Natural Wonders A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico