Ilfracombe's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel , AFAR Local Expert
Ilfracombe EX34 9EQ, UK
Take the steep path from the aquarium side of Ilfracombe Harbor to see one of the oldest working lighthouses in England. Originally a waterside place of worship for harbor workers and locals, the chapel became a lighthouse after Henry VIII...
Wilder Rd, Ilfracombe EX34 8AF, UK
At the Ilfracombe Museum, you’ll take a trip back in time, starting in North Devon and continuing around the whole world. The museum’s remarkable collection of artifacts was started by a British Museum curator after his return from South America....
Ilfracombe EX34 9BZ, UK
Rarely has a public building courted so much controversy as Ilfracombe’s Landmark Theatre. The architecture resembles the cooling towers of a power station, and some locals claim it is at odds with the character of the Victorian houses of the...
Simonsbath, Minehead TA24, UK
For a complete contrast to the busy harbor town of Ilfracombe, the nearly untouched landscape of Exmoor offers the very best of the English countryside. There is evidence that hunter-gatherers lived on the moors and in the wooded valleys of Exmoor...
Chambercombe Ln, Ilfracombe EX34 9RJ, UK
Dare you experience the chills and thrills of one of England’s most haunted houses? Discover for yourself the legend of Chambercombe Manor on a tour of its historic Tudor rooms and well-kept gardens. Hidden in a valley down a country lane on the...
- 1 Travel News The Real Story Behind Venice’s Newly Crystal-Clear Canals
- 2 Travel News Quarantine. Self-Isolation. Lockdown. Shelter in Place. What’s the Difference?
- 3 Travel News Virtual Museum Tours, Performances, and Tutorials to Keep You (and Your Kids) Entertained at Home
- 4 Air Travel TSA Just Made Some Major Changes to Its Rules Due to Coronavirus
- 5 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Locked-Down Countries