Île Rousse See/Do
Collected by John Oseid, AFAR Local Expert
2 Place Paoli, 20220 L'Île-Rousse, France
The name of the 18th-century Corsican freedom fighter and patriot Pasquale Paoli lives on in L'Île-Rousse’s main square, under whose palms and shady plane trees locals play pétanque. Place Pasquale Paoli is flanked by two fine small churches....
20220 Sant'Antonino, France
Just minutes south of L'Île-Rousse begins a spectacular stretch of the Balagne region that is packed with hilltop hamlets. At an altitude of 488 meters (1,600 feet), Sant’Antonino is laced with steep, narrow stone streets, some of which pass under...
20220 Monticello, France
The village of Monticello just outside of L'Île-Rousse would be worth a visit just for its wonderful coastal views, which come courtesy of its perch 213 meters (700 feet) above the sea. Like many towns here in the Balagne region it’s also known...
Haute ville, 20260 Calvi, France
The Genoese built this citadel, and its five bastions looming over Calvi can be reached from L'Île-Rousse by a little train. The views from the ramparts and from several cafés are stunning at this huge complex that is a city in itself, with tight...
Clos Landry, 20260 Calvi, France
One of the most respected local wine estates, the 24-hectare (60-acre) Clos Landry, south of L'Île-Rousse, is within view of the Calvi citadel. Corsica’s clay and limestone soils (plus the heavy mistral and sirocco winds) produce nice regional...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles