I left my heart in Siena. Il Palio is a strange mixture of Kentucky Derby meets Fiesta de San Fermin meets a Renaissance Fair, but what’s remarkable is that it’s not the lowest common denominator of each of those comparisons. It’s the most competitive, daring horse race in the world. It’s a village festival full of fierce and fascinating rivalries. It’s got great historical appeal and is a must-see for anyone who loves formal costumes and gallantry.
- 1ScottsdaleSlideshowA Perfect Day’s Adventures in Scottsdale Sponsored by Experience Scottsdale
- 2TrendsArticleMeet the Woman Who Went in Search of “the Good Death”
- 3Festivals + EventsArticleThe Halloween Capital of the World Isn’t What You Think It Is
- 4ArtArticleA Look at Ai Weiwei’s Takeover of New York City’s Public Spaces
- 5PeopleArticleCoolest Travel Jobs: What It’s Like to Be a Professional Ghost Hunter