Honningsvåg's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel, AFAR Local Expert
Nordkapp Municipality, Norway
One of Norway’s most iconic sights, the North Cape is a 1,007-foot-high cliff overlooking the Barents Sea. Follow in the footsteps of arctic explorers for a glimpse of the midnight sun in the summer or the northern lights in the winter. From...
Sjøgata 2, 9750 Honningsvåg, Norway
Experience a day in the life of an arctic king crab fisherman. These critters were originally native to Russia but spread all across the northern Norwegian coast in the 20th century and are now a common menu item at local restaurants. From your...
The most fun option for taking in the raw beauty of Magerøy Island—and Honningsvåg’s surroundings—is a self-guided all-terrain vehicle (ATV) tour. Enjoy taking the wheel of your own vehicle and stop as many times as you like for photographs. Two...
Holmen 1, 9750 Honningsvåg, Norway
For such a small and out-of-the-way town, Honningsvåg has a fascinating tale to tell. The compact but compelling museum chronicles the history of this remote corner of the Norwegian arctic, from the development of the fishing industry to the...
Vågen 1, 9750 Honningsvåg, Norway
Many visitors to Honningsvåg are so preoccupied with the North Cape that they miss out on the cultural gems within the city limits. One such spot is the Perleporten Culture House, the cultural hub of Honningsvåg since 2012. During the summer...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands