Homer Top 5
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
95 Sterling Hwy, Homer, AK 99603, USA
The visitors center at this National Wildlife Refuge poetically describes its location as “where the road ends and the sea begins.” Stroll through the exhibits which explore the sweep of Alaska’s coastline, from the Inside Passage clear up past...
The family-friendly Glacier Lake Trail weaves among spruce and cottonwood stands before emerging onto broad beaches. This relatively flat stroll yields big results with glorious vistas of the ice and surrounding peaks. Most visitors prefer to hike...
3720 Faa St, Homer, AK 99603, USA
Take your pick, anglers: Casting a line in Homer is easy, affordable and, at the manmade lagoon stocked with king and coho salmon near the Small Boat Harbor, even wheelchair-accessible. Visitors with deeper pockets can book charter boats from...
3779 Bartlett St, Homer, AK 99603, USA
One of Alaska’s top museums, the Pratt offers a wide-ranging foundation for understanding the state, from woolly mammoth fossils and a thousand-year-old birch-bark basket to archives of photos and even homesteader tales of pickled eggs. Over 250...
4380 Homer Spit Rd, Homer, AK 99603, USA
Like rain-forest moss on a tree trunk, old dollar bills blanket the walls and ceilings of this world-famous hangout. Originally a settler’s log cabin, the building has also done time as the town’s first post office, a grocery store and the...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Travel News The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands