Historic Santo Domingo
Collected by Patrick Bennett, AFAR Ambassador
Cuidad Colonial, Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic
Listed as a World Heritage Site by Unesco, the historic Hostal Nicolás De Ovando is the original home of the town's founder, Governor Nicolas de Ovando. Located on the famous Calle Las Damas (the first paved road of the New World), Señor Ovando's...
Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo Este, Dominican Republic
Calle Las Damas is the oldest paved street in the new world with construction beginning in 1502. Originally named Calle de la Forteleza, or Street of the Fort, it makes a straight line above the shores of the Rio Ozama from the Fortaleza Ozama to...
Calle Isabel La Católica, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic
The oldest church in the “New World”, Catedral Primada de America, can be found in the heart of the oldest European city in the Americas: La Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Its foundation stone was laid by Diego Columbus...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village