Collected by onnalee macdonald , AFAR Staff
Dipsea Trail, California, USA
Beginning in Mill Valley, the 7-mile-long Dipsea Trail runs up and over Mount Tamalapais, with more than 2,300 feet of steep, often slippery, uphills and downhills. (This is also where the Dipsea Race unfolds, the oldest trail race in America.)...
Isla del Sol, Bolivia
According to Inca lore, Isla del Sol is the birthplace of their revered Sun God. Its trail known as Willa Thaki or “the Sacred Route of the Eternal Sun,” passes up some suitably ancient scenery, including pre-Columbian ruins, sandstone formations,...
PRESA GAITANEJO, S/N, 29550, Málaga, Spain
Here’s one surefire way to get your adrenaline pumping: set out on this five-mile trek along boardwalks perched on the edge of stone cliffs more than 300 feet above the Rio Guadalhorce. These wooden boardwalks, which had become notorious for their...
Hong Kong Trail Sec. 8, Shek O, Hong Kong
It doesn’t take long to trade the concrete jungle of central Hong Kong for its lush peaks and sandy shores, notably by catching a bus or taxi ride to Shek O Country Park. This undulating 5.2-mile-long hike along Dragon’s Back ridge stretches...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May