This beach and surrounding land didn’t even exist 20 years ago. Mount Kilauea’s lava reached the shoreline at Kalapana, destroying its fishing village, several surfing spots and the original Kaimu Black Sand Beach with its splendid...
Settled more than a thousand years ago, this cove grew into a thriving community and religious center anchored around Hikiau Heiau, a temple atop a platform of stacked lava rocks. In 1779, British explorer Captain James Cook arrived here during...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Air Travel AFAR Readers Reveal Their Favorite U.S. Airports
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter