Collected by Kaitlyn Barrett, AFAR Local Expert
If you're headed to Tikal, chances are you'll stay a night in Flores, a tiny island in Lake Peten Itza. Because of the steady stream of tourists, Flores housing isn't as cheap as most places in Guatemala but it's a beautiful little city and well...
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Like arepas in South America and gorditas in Mexico, pupusas are made of corn dough. In Central America, the dry corn for pupusa dough is soaked in an alkaline solution to remove the tough outer skin and preserve the nutrients in the kernels. In...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Exceptional Travel Experiences The Ideal Iceland May Only Exist in Your Mind