Collected by Katy Hoogerwerf
Campanero 4 Puente, Del Campanero, Zona Centro, 36000 Guanajuato, Gto., Mexico
Near the old entrance to the city, I discovered my favorite cafe in Guanajuato. Santo Cafe is perched on a bridge that mirrors those that top the underground roads. The restaurant has a huge menu of breakfasts (eggs every style including...
37800 Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, Mexico
This has to be the most colorful thing I've ever seen in a cemetery. In the town of Dolores Hidalgo in central Mexico, singer José Alfredo Jiménez (1926-1973), "El Rey," is memorialized by this sombrero-and-serape tomb. The names of some of his...
Zona Centro, 36000 Guanajuato, Gto., Mexico
After the third person recommended Bar Incendio with a chuckle, we had to check it out. "It's a real Mexican bar," they would say. But on our first two attempts, the bar was closed (we discovered that "real Mexicans" close shop at 11 p.m.) Our...
Viveros, Pátzcuaro, Mich., Mexico
The guide book called Patzcuaro Lake "impossibly blue", but I found it rather brown. It's badly polluted because none of the little towns that surround it have sewage systems. That is changing however, the Mexican government is slowly installing...
San José 14, Valenciana, 36000 Guanajuato, Gto., Mexico
El Abue is a breath of fresh air in Guanajuato, a city with many great taco stands in the street but few non-touristy sitdown options. El Abue offers the freshiest of ingredients, a creative take on Mexican food, an eclectic decor, and a few...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter