Collected by Lynda Mitgutsch
Mitilini 811 00, Greece
Lesvos isn't typically on a traveler's list, but the large island is worth visiting for its traditional lifestyle and year-round busy towns. Mytilini is the capital, and is largely driven by its busy student population. The restaurants and cafes...
Paxos, Paxi 490 82, Greece
If you're looking to move away from the popular Cycladic islands, head to the Ionian Sea. Besides the busy hub of Corfu, there's also Paxos, a small island surrounded by turquoise sea, beautiful caves, and idyllic villages. Rumour has it that...
XENIA Hotel and Restaurant- Harbour at Chora Sfakion, Chora Sfakion 730 11, Greece
The best way to explore the south coast of Crete is by kayak. One of my favorite tavernas on the coast is the Mermaid Taverna, located at Sweetwater Beach. Accessible only by boat (or long hike), Sweetwater is named for its bubbling springs of...
Hydra, Idra 180 40, Greece
If you dream of a tranquil island free from traffic and the din of human activity, where donkeys are the only means of transportation, Hydra is it. Beautiful Mediterranean waters, cobbled streets, and preserved architecture makes Hydra an idyllic...
Melidoni, Μελιδόνι, Rethimno 740 52, Greece
The Melidoni cave is on the Old Heraklion Road between Rethymno and Heraklion. This cave was used for religious ceremonies during the Minoan times. It also played an important role during the period of the Ottoman occupation. Villagers fled to the...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Air Travel AFAR Readers Reveal Their Favorite U.S. Airports
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter