Game On: Traveling Through Tanzania
Collected by Afar Magazine
AFAR.com local expert Kerry John-Davis shares her favorite places in Tanzania to drink the local joe, meet a chimp, and take a safari—on horseback.
Shangani St, Zanzibar City 4858, Tanzania
According to AFAR local expert Kerry John-Davis, those seeking local flair should head to Stone Town, on the island of Zanzibar, which was once a stop on the Arabian spice route. "I love to sit on the veranda at the Africa House Hotel and drink ...
Stop at Tarangire National Park to spy on tree-climbing lions and at Lake Manyara to see flocks of migrating flamingos. Trekking for chimpanzees is also unforgettable. Gombe Stream National Park, where Jane Goodall researched, is a short flight...
Grumeti Reserves, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
One of the five lodging options within the 350,000-acre Singita Grumeti game concession, Faru Faru Lodge sits amid dense woodland on the bank of the Grumeti River. Originally inspired by a mid-20th-century botanist’s camp, each...
Jongomero Camp in Ruaha, Tanzania’s largest national park, is a favorite. It’s remote—more than 500 miles south of the Serengeti—and has no crowds, so game is everywhere. Feeling adventurous? Try a two-day walking safari to see the hundreds of...
- 1 Air Travel How Much Do Masks Really Protect You on Flights?
- 2 Tips + News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 3 Tips + News Costa Rica Opens to All U.S. Travelers—No COVID Test or Quarantine Required
- 4 Trains There’s Now a Direct High-Speed Train From Amsterdam to London
- 5 Tips + News Visiting NY, NJ, or CT? You’ll Probably Have to Quarantine as List Hits Record High