Galway's Top 5
Collected by Aoife O Riordain , AFAR Contributor
7 Lombard St, Galway, H91 T2F4, Ireland
Take the opportunity to drop by the largest medieval parish church in Ireland, the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas, right in Galway’s historic center. When it was finished in the 1320s, it dwarfed several Irish cathedrals. Christopher Columbus...
2 Church St, Knockaunroe, Corofin, Co. Clare, V95 T9V6, Ireland
South of Galway in neighboring County Clare is one of Ireland’s, if not Western Europe’s, unique landscapes: the extraordinary, lunarlike limestone scenery of the Burren. (Its name derives from the Gaelic word boíreann, which...
Kylemore Abbey, Pollacappul, Connemara, Co. Galway, Ireland
Before reaching this incredible castle, you will be astounded by the beautiful pastures and lakes along the roadside. Lambs occasionally trot across allowing a great opportunity for photos. Upon reaching Kylemore, you will enter through a quaint...
Abbey St, Cong South, Cong, Co. Mayo, F31 VK44, Ireland
Just over the border in County Mayo, Cong has postcard-pretty looks that have been put to good use, most notably as one of the main locations for John Ford’s classic 1952 movie, The Quiet Man, starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. The...
- 1 Travel News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 2 Travel News Europe Proposes Extending Travel Ban Until June 15
- 3 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Countries Coming Out of Lockdown
- 4 Travel News Iceland Begins to Reopen After Rigorous Testing Helps Contain Coronavirus Outbreak
- 5 Longreads Inside the Growing Community of Families on the Road, Full Time