Galway's Top 5
Collected by Aoife O Riordain , AFAR Contributor
7 Lombard St, Galway, H91 T2F4, Ireland
Take the opportunity to drop by the largest medieval parish church in Ireland, the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas, right in Galway’s historic center. When it was finished in the 1320s, it dwarfed several Irish cathedrals. Christopher Columbus...
2 Church St, Knockaunroe, Corofin, Co. Clare, V95 T9V6, Ireland
South of Galway in neighboring County Clare is one of Ireland’s, if not Western Europe’s, unique landscapes: the extraordinary, lunarlike limestone scenery of the Burren. (Its name derives from the Gaelic word boíreann, which...
Kylemore Abbey, Pollacappul, Connemara, Co. Galway, Ireland
Before reaching this incredible castle, you will be astounded by the beautiful pastures and lakes along the roadside. Lambs occasionally trot across allowing a great opportunity for photos. Upon reaching Kylemore, you will enter through a quaint...
Abbey St, Cong South, Cong, Co. Mayo, F31 VK44, Ireland
Just over the border in County Mayo, Cong has postcard-pretty looks that have been put to good use, most notably as one of the main locations for John Ford’s classic 1952 movie, The Quiet Man, starring John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. The...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May