France - Languedoc-Rousillion, Provence, Herault, Cote D'Azur
Collected by Claudia Dengler
16 Rue du Faubourg de la Saunerie, 34000 Montpellier, France
Planning a fromage pilgrimage? Make sure the tiny Crèmerie du Faubourg is on your list. Grab a wedge of the famous blue-veined Roquefort or the pélardons des Cévennes, a soft goat cheese. Owners Cécile Broquere and Nina Alaimo can also suggest...
14 Rue de l'École de Pharmacie, 34000 Montpellier, France
Local students are flocking to La Panacée, a splashy new art space in a former pharmacy school, for the mix of experimen- tal exhibitions (say, water calligraphy depicting the history of the toast) and lounges, including a café lit by neon tubes....
27 Rue de l'Aiguillerie, 34000 Montpellier, France
Imagine yourself among the French aristocracy while dining under Cellier Morel’s 13th-century stone ceilings. The food, however, is anything but archaic: dashi-stewed sea bass and an elevated aligot, a rustic blend of potato and tomme cheese. This...
2 Rue Saint-Come, 34000 Montpellier, France
Olivier Bardou sells his geometric jewelry plus global housewares (Finnish ceramics, Japanese water tubs) in De La Luce, a 500-year-old domed shop. Visit in the afternoon when the sun creates an ethereal glow, and you’ll understand the name: luce...
3 Rue Raymond Roger Trencavel, 11000 Carcassonne, France
With its medieval walls, the Cité de Carcassonne is among the most picturesque, and most crowded, sights in all of Europe. But when the sun sets and the tour buses leave, the stone-paved streets actually grow quiet; mid-week—even during the summer...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Coming to 1 U.S. Museum This Fall