Flåm's Top 10
Collected by Jeryl Brunner , AFAR Contributor
Riksveg 601 80, 5746 Undredal, Norway
Take a guided tour and learn the rich history of Undredal, a tiny village north of Flåm, where human inhabitants are outnumbered by goats. Don't miss the charming stave church, which dates back to the 12th century. Set along the Aurlandsfjord, the...
Rent a bike at the tourist office near the port and cycle along Flåmsdalsvegen, a quiet road that meanders through the lower part of the Flåm valley. The scenic ride is flat and runs parallel to the railroad tracks. Just a few kilometers into the...
Spot eagles, goats and seals on this nature-focused Zodiac ride that passes by Beitelen, the mountain that divides the Sognefjord into two branches. The 90-minute excursion then heads into the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Nærøyfjord, with a...
A-Feltvegen 11, 5742 Flåm, Norway
Don't miss the famous Flåm railway or Flåmsbana, one of the world’s steepest rail lines and also one of the most scenic. The 20-kilometer journey starts in the high-altitude station of Myrdal and descends 867 meters into the valley in Flåm. The...
Otternesveien 8, 5745 Aurland, Norway
Set high on a mountainside between Aurland and Flåm, Otternes Farm is composed of a collection of farm cottages that date as far back as the 1700s, many preserved the way they were centuries ago. Pick up a map for a self-guided tour; the farm...
Skulegata 14, 5700 Voss, Norway
Accessible via the Bergen Railway, Voss is a base for both outdoor adventures and cultural excursions. Take a hike on marked terrain into the nearby mountains or go rafting, kayaking, climbing or even skydiving. You can also check out the...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Happiest Country Is All About Reading, Coffee, and Saunas
- 2 Natural Wonders “Unbearable” Crowds Force California Town to Restrict Access to Poppy Bloom
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Ongoing Paris Riots
- 4 Where to Go in Summer California Wildflowers: Where and When to Find Them During the Super Bloom
- 5 Travel News Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Is Opening Soon—Here’s Everything You Need to Know