Collected by Gretchen Kelly , AFAR Local Expert
Breaksea Sound, 9691, New Zealand
Your arrival at placid Breaksea Sound may well be met by a pod of dolphins—the famously social sea mammals are plentiful in these waters. You might also spot the rare Fiordland crested penguin, with its distinctive yellow stripe above the eye. And...
Dusky Sound, New Zealand
Linked to Breaksea Sound by the Acheron Passage, Dusky Sound is one of the biggest fjords in Fiordland National Park—40 kilometers (25 miles) long and eight kilometers (five miles) wide. The large Resolution Island sits at the mouth of the fjord,...
Chalky Island, Southland 9691, New Zealand
You'll pass Chalky Island as your ship sails up Chalky Inlet in Fiordland National Park—its white-chalk cliffs are a sight to behold. A state-run bird sanctuary, the uninhabited island was cleared of pests and predators to provide a refuge for a...
Preservation Inlet, New Zealand
True to its name, Preservation Inlet is a protected marine reserve. The southernmost fjord in Fiordland National Park, it provides a home for southern right whales—once preyed on by whalers—and bottlenose dolphins. When you get close to Coal...
- 1 Longreads The God of Silence Speaks Up
- 2 Air Travel American Airlines to Cut Service to These U.S. Cities—Will There Be More?
- 3 Trending News Where Can Americans Travel Right Now?
- 4 Trending News Can Americans Visit Mexico Right Now?
- 5 Air Travel This Airport Just Became the World’s First to Get a Five-Star COVID-19 Rating