Exit Kiel Canal Brunsbuttel
Collected by John Oseid , AFAR Local Expert
Eekbrook 15, 24159 Kiel, Germany
The Kiel Canal was inaugurated at Holtenau in 1895; a decade later, just before World War I, the locks were enlarged to the size they are today. Ship passengers leaving the city of Kiel and sailing towards the Baltic can admire the fine brick...
Am Freizeitbad 1, 25541 Brunsbüttel, Germany
Officially Kilometer 1 of the Kiel Canal, the 13th-century town of Brunsbüttel has many fine half-timbered houses, but it is most famous for the massive locks constructed from 1907 to 1914. In addition to several lighthouses, the town’s...
K24, 24107 Kiel, Germany
Kaiser Wilhelm II himself attended the 1894 opening of the Levensau High Bridge just outside of Kiel, its elegant arch a local landmark that makes it one of the most popular of the canal's 10 bridges. Originally, it carried railroad and car...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Travel News A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 3 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 4 Packing Tips How to Pack a Suitcase
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico