Exit Kiel Canal Brunsbuttel
Collected by John Oseid , AFAR Local Expert
Eekbrook 15, 24159 Kiel, Germany
The Kiel Canal was inaugurated at Holtenau in 1895; a decade later, just before World War I, the locks were enlarged to the size they are today. Ship passengers leaving the city of Kiel and sailing towards the Baltic can admire the fine brick...
Am Freizeitbad 1, 25541 Brunsbüttel, Germany
Officially Kilometer 1 of the Kiel Canal, the 13th-century town of Brunsbüttel has many fine half-timbered houses, but it is most famous for the massive locks constructed from 1907 to 1914. In addition to several lighthouses, the town’s...
K24, 24107 Kiel, Germany
Kaiser Wilhelm II himself attended the 1894 opening of the Levensau High Bridge just outside of Kiel, its elegant arch a local landmark that makes it one of the most popular of the canal's 10 bridges. Originally, it carried railroad and car...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May