European Riverscapes: France
Collected by Carrie Finley-Bajak , AFAR Local Expert
From the Seine to the Rhône River, France can inspire, seduce, and satisfy travelers who want to enjoy the good life.
Rue de l'Hôpital Saint-Louis, 75010 Paris, France
Early spring, Paris can be a moody place. Flowers just beginning to poke up through damp soil under low grey skies, a rainstorm solidifies into sleet...then the clouds lift right at sunset, and the swollen Seine takes on the green of a newly...
7 Rue de la Croix de Fer, 76000 Rouen, France
Not only was Joan of Arc burned at the stake in Rouen, but it also has a fascinating architectural history. It’s deemed the “Town with a Thousand Spires”. The ornate Notre-Dame Cathedral inspired Monet to paint his Cathedral series – a series of...
Pont d'Avignon, Boulevard de la Ligne, 84000 Avignon, France
The Pont St-Bénézet is so famous it even has its own song, "Sur Le Pont d’Avignon" (as the bridge is more commonly known). The last crossing on the Rhône between Lyon and the Mediterranean Sea, the 3,000-foot bridge was...
2 Montée des Moulins, 84000 Avignon, France
Escape the hot, rabbit-warren of medieval streets in Avignon for the cool and shady oasis of Rocher des Doms. The park is a popular spot for families to relax and offers stunning views over the town of Avignon. It is also an easy access point for...
- 1 Air Travel How Much Do Masks Really Protect You on Flights?
- 2 Tips + News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 3 Tips + News Costa Rica Opens to All U.S. Travelers—No COVID Test or Quarantine Required
- 4 Trains There’s Now a Direct High-Speed Train From Amsterdam to London
- 5 Tips + News Visiting NY, NJ, or CT? You’ll Probably Have to Quarantine as List Hits Record High