European River Cruise: Portugal
Collected by Carrie Finley-Bajak, AFAR Local Expert
Discover Portugal's "River of Gold" with visits to Porto, Portugal, the birthplace of port wine. Travel along the Douro river to the heart of Portugal.
Largo Miguel Bombarda 3, 4430-175 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
One would hardly come to Porto (or Oporto depending upon which map you use) without visiting their world renowned port houses. All stretched along the hillside on the south bank of the Duoro River in Porto there are many to choose from. We picked...
Rua do Choupelo, 4400-088 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
A UNESCO World Heritage area, Porto's historic Beaux Arts buildings, Baroque churches, and faded tiles create a dreamily lived-in city, rich with character. Consider staying in the small town of Gaia, directly across the Duoro River. It is...
Largo Monte, 1170-107 Lisboa, Portugal
One of the less-visited viewing spots in Lisbon, maybe because it’s the highest point in the city and nobody wants to climb so high, has great conditions for observing and picture-taking, due to its half-moon shape and wonderful light. You will be...
Lugar Da Curvaceira, S/N, Curvaceira, Viseu, 5100, Portugal
A magnificent way to get to know the Douro Valley is aboard a sailboat. António, the skipper of Libertu’s, takes you through the dazzling landscapes of terraced grape vines. I went in Autumn, so I could appreciate the leaves in beautiful shades of...
Largo Camões, 5100-147 Lamego, Portugal
See our full list of Where to Go in 2015. Museu de Lamego is located in a 17th-century Episcopal palace in the heart of the city, its decoration still reflecting the original tastes of the period. Works from the permanent collection, many of them...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 5 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna