Collected by AFAR Explorer
Neuschwansteinstraße 20, 87645 Schwangau, Germany
The most famous castle in Germany—and one of the best-known in Europe—Neuschwanstein is renowned not just for its fairytale architecture (which directly inspired the Disney Castle), but also for its creator, “mad” King...
Père-Lachaise, 75020 Paris, France
75001 Paris, France
Stand on the the quais beneath the Pont Neuf bridge—the city's oldest crossing of the Seine—and look up. Staring down at you are mascarons, stone faces that resemble gargoyles, but without bodies. No two of these grotesque visages are the same....
8 Boulevard du Palais, 75001 Paris, France
Sainte Chapelle is a true Gothic masterpiece located on Île de la Cité. Sainte Chapelle was founded by King Louis IX as a chapel for the royal palace. Sainte Chapelle houses a small chapel downstairs that is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The...
35 Rue du Chevalier de la Barre, 75018 Paris, France
At the summit of Montmartre, the highest point in the city, you'll find the Basilica de Sacré-Cœur. Contrasting with the Gothic churches like Notre-Dame, the Romano-Byzantine architecture is both beautiful inside and out. While...
66 Quai de l'Hôtel de ville, 75004 Paris, France
Before wandering around Paris for two days, I asked my French friend Nadine, "where do I eat?" She directed me to Cafe Louis Phillipe for a lovely French lunch. The beautiful blue cheese, walnut, and endive salad arrived first, followed by a roast...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Happiest Country Is All About Reading, Coffee, and Saunas
- 2 Natural Wonders “Unbearable” Crowds Force California Town to Restrict Access to Poppy Bloom
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Ongoing Paris Riots
- 4 Where to Go in Summer California Wildflowers: Where and When to Find Them During the Super Bloom
- 5 Travel News Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Is Opening Soon—Here’s Everything You Need to Know