Enjoying Xi'an Outdoors
Collected by Emily Chu , AFAR Local Expert
Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
Want to know more about Taoism? About 70km west of Xi'an, in Tayu Village, is the Louguantai Temple, where it's said that Lao Tze, the founder of Taoism, wrote the Tao Te Ching and set the fundamentals for the religion. Built over two thousand...
38 Huaqing Rd, Lintong Qu, Xian Shi, Shaanxi Sheng, China
About 45 minutes outside Xi'an, at the foot of Mount Lishan, is the Huaqing Hotspring (or Huaqing Chi). These grounds were the setting to the love story between Emperor Xuangzong and his concubine Yang Guifei, one of the four beauties of ancient...
17 Cuihua Rd, QuJiang ShangQuan, Yanta Qu, Xian Shi, Shaanxi Sheng, China
Covering almost 50 acres, the Shaanxi Xi'an Botanical Garden is a scenic spot for an afternoon stroll; popular with locals and wedding parties, and usually very few tourists. The garden is split into several sections and is home to over 3,400...
Zhangjiabao Shangquan, Weiyang, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
Mt. Huashan is an hour and a half out of Xi'an. It is a stunning holy mountain, and an escape from China's big cities. Most of the tourists there are Chinese; we saw few foreigners and we sure stood out as white females. We took the cable car up...
585 Ziqiang E Rd, Xincheng Qu, Xian Shi, Shaanxi Sheng, China
The main royal residence for emperors during the Tang Dynasty (from the 600s to the 900s), Daming Palace was discovered in 1957. After excavations and restoration work, the palace, also known as the Palace of Great Brilliance, opened to the...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum