Elbe River Cruising
Collected by Paul Sullivan, AFAR Local Expert
Platz der Deutschen Einheit 1, 20457 Hamburg, Germany
Hamburg’s brand-new concert hall rises impressively some 110 meters (361 feet) above the shiny HafenCity district. Designed by Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron, the distinctive building contains a Grand Hall for up to 2,100 guests, as well as a...
Am Markt 4, 25348 Glückstadt, Germany
On the banks of the Elbe, just before its confluence with the River Rhin, passengers will spy a colorful array of historic houses and a harbor fronted by an assembly of fishing boats and sailing ships. This is the Glückstadt, or “Lucky City,”...
27476 Cuxhaven, Germany
One of the most notable landmarks in historic Cuxhaven, the 30-meter-tall (98-foot-tall) Kugelbake (Ball Beacon) stands at the point where the Elbe ends and the North Sea begins. Similar structures have stood in the same spot since 1703—sometimes...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Travel News The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 4 Travel News You Can Pay to Attend a Traditional Wedding in India
- 5 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now