Edinburgh's Top 5
Collected by Ann Shields , AFAR Staff
2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY, UK
While Glasgow tends to live in the shadow of Edinburgh's international renown, this vibrant city should be on the itinerary of any tourist to Scotland. To name just a few of the draws to Scotland's largest city: lively pedestrian districts with...
The Mound, Edinburgh EH2 2EL, UK
Scotland’s art collection is spread across three sites, from the National Gallery (home to classics by Velázquez and Botticelli) and National Portrait Gallery (don’t miss Ken Currie’s haunting Three Oncologists) to the...
Castle Esplanade, Stirling FK8 1EJ, UK
Scotland's Stuart monarchs spent more time here than in Edinburgh, and many scenes of high drama and intrigue played out at Stirling Castle. This is an A++ destination because so much of the sprawling site, from gardens to Great Hall to James V's...
Royal Mile, Edinburgh, UK
Linking Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse two kilometers to the east, the Royal Mile runs through the heart of the city's medieval Old Town. Off either side of the street—which goes by different names as it descends—ancient alleys...
Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NG, UK
Perched on a great rock above Edinburgh’s New Town, this impressive castle dominates the city. Iron Age warriors understood the site’s military potential and built a fort here in the late first century C.E. It changed hands several...
- 1 Travel Tips The World’s Coolest Travel Jobs—and How to Get Them
- 2 Air Travel Emirates Has $799 Flights for Two This Valentine’s Day—but You’ll Have to Act Fast
- 3 Packing Tips How to Apply Marie Kondo’s Life-Changing Magic to Packing
- 4 Where to Go in Spring Places Where Your U.S. Dollar Will Go Far in Spring
- 5 National Parks The Ideal Road Trip Through U.S. Canyon Country