Edinburgh's Top 5
Collected by Ann Shields, AFAR Staff
2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY, UK
While Glasgow tends to live in the shadow of Edinburgh's international renown, this vibrant city should be on the itinerary of any tourist to Scotland. To name just a few of the draws to Scotland's largest city: lively pedestrian districts with...
The Mound, Edinburgh EH2 2EL, UK
From the flagship building with classics (Velázquez to Botticelli), to the Portrait Gallery (don't miss Ken Currie's haunting Three Oncologists), to the Gallery of Modern Art, Scotland's collection of artwork proves itself distinct from and no...
Castle Esplanade, Stirling FK8 1EJ, UK
Scotland's Stuart monarchs spent more time here than in Edinburgh, and many scenes of high drama and intrigue played out at Stirling Castle. This is an A++ destination because so much of the sprawling site, from gardens to Great Hall to James V's...
Royal Mile, Edinburgh, UK
Linking Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse two kilometers to the east, the Royal Mile runs through the heart of the city's medieval Old Town. Off either side of the street—which goes by different names as it descends—ancient alleys...
Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NG, UK
There is only one easy way up this crag in central Edinburgh, so it was the perfect location for the city's ancient fortifications and famous castle. Scholars say Castle Rock has been inhabited continually for more than 7,000 years and there has...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles