Edinburgh's Top 5
Collected by Ann Shields , AFAR Staff
2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY, UK
While Glasgow tends to live in the shadow of Edinburgh's international renown, this vibrant city should be on the itinerary of any tourist to Scotland. To name just a few of the draws to Scotland's largest city: lively pedestrian districts with...
The Mound, Edinburgh EH2 2EL, UK
Scotland’s art collection is spread across three sites: the National Gallery, home to classics by Velázquez and Botticelli; the National Portrait Gallery, including Ken Currie’s haunting Three Oncologists; and the National...
Castle Esplanade, Stirling FK8 1EJ, UK
Scotland's Stuart monarchs spent more time here than in Edinburgh, and many scenes of high drama and intrigue played out at Stirling Castle. This is an A++ destination because so much of the sprawling site, from gardens to Great Hall to James V's...
Royal Mile, Edinburgh, UK
Linking Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse two kilometers to the east, the Royal Mile runs through the heart of the city's medieval Old Town. Off either side of the street—which goes by different names as it descends—ancient alleys...
Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NG, UK
Perched on a great rock above Edinburgh’s New Town, this impressive castle dominates the city. Iron Age warriors understood the site’s military potential and built a fort here in the late first century C.E. It changed hands several...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Coming to 1 U.S. Museum This Fall