Collected by Edilee Matteson
Edilee Matteson′s Wishlist
Al Farafra - Al Wahat, Al Farafrah, New Valley Governorate, Egypt
When you find yourself in the middle of a desert trying to flag down a camel caravan for help, you’re obviously in a bit of a predicament. That’s the situation my wife and I found ourselves in when our guide’s Land Cruiser broke down in a rather...
15 May Bridge, Omar Al Khayam, Zamalek, Giza Governorate, Egypt
Sailing down the Nile aboard the Nile Maxim cruise was an evening which filled my senses with the sights, sounds, aromas and flavors of Egypt. Out on the deck I watched huge ships sail down the ancient Nile beside small boats carrying humble...
El-Gamaleya, Qism El-Gamaleya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
This gentleman caught my eye from his stool in the back of the store as I wandered through the narrow alleys of the Khan el-Khalili souk in Cairo, and he beckoned me to come in. Thinking of my already overstuffed suitcase and still a bit skittish...
At Nasser’s stables, I hoist myself up into the saddle of a mottled Arabian mare. She’s small, but spirited, and we canter for a while into the dark gray void that appears abruptly at the edge of Giza and doesn’t end until it spills into the...
Alexandria, Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Very easy to find but relatively unknown to non-locals, this market's winding alleyways are tight and full of shops dedicated to the sundries that traditionally ladies gravitate towards. Known colloquially as the "women's squeeze", pretty much...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December
- 5 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now