Easo, Lifou Highlights
Collected by Paul Sullivan, AFAR Local Expert
With its brilliant whitewashed walls and cliff-top location, the church of Notre Dame de Lourdes is in fact one of the first things visitors to Lifou spot as they approach the island. Constructed by Catholic missionaries, the structure dates back...
Joking, New Caledonia
The charming village of Jokin lies on Lifou's rugged northern coast, atop soaring 37-meter-tall (120-foot-tall) cliffs that used to form the walls of the island's barrier reef. Today, high above sea level, the cliffs serve mainly as a destination...
Lifou Island, New Caledonia
Lifou has several vanilla plantations that can be toured for a glimpse of how these sweetly scented beans—the pods of vanilla orchids—are cultivated, processed and exported all around the world. Depending on the season, visitors can also...
Xepenehe, New Caledonia
Le Fenepaza is one of the most popular eateries on Lifou, thanks to its simple, welcoming atmosphere and its array of traditional and international dishes. These range from grilled lobster and coconut crab dished up with a creamy vanilla sauce to...
Qanono, Mairie de Lifou, R.T.2, Wé 98820, New Caledonia
Located in the eastern town of Wé, the administrative center of Lifou, L'Île O Pizza is well known as one of the premier pizza spots on the island. Not much more than a brightly painted roadside shack surrounded by palm trees and a well-kept...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now