Collected by Dwight Schmidt
Dwight Schmidt′s Wishlist
Walking around the historic downtown area of Bratislava, I was pleased to come upon this little piece of clever utilitarian art. Any city planner can decide where to place a manhole cover on the street. But it takes someone with a little foresight...
Muránská, 841 10 Devín, Slovakia
One of the most interesting aspects of Slovakia are the number of castles found all over the country. From dark ages to the almost modern time, it's a wonderful trip for anyone interested in seeing castles. Devín was the first, and it's stood the...
Pribinova 8, 811 09 Bratislava, Slovakia
In an effort to bring Bratislava up as its own tourist destination, the Slovakian government poured money into a revitalization of the shoreline by the Danube River. A large shopping mall and pedestrian walkway filled with cafes and restaurants...
Rybárska brána 217/1, 811 01 Bratislava, Slovakia
Someone else posted a photo of a street performer imitating this iconic figure in Slovak folklore. Peeping Tom is as he's named. A mischievous sewer worker who sneaked peeks under the dresses of unsuspecting women.
Most SNP 1, 851 01 Bratislava-Petržalka, Slovakia
There's isn't enough beer in Bratislava to help you pronounce Most Slovenského národného povstania, or Bridge of the Slovak National Uprising. Which is a good thing, then, that they recently changed the name to Novy Most, or New Bridge. At least...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December