Collected by John Oseid , AFAR Local Expert
Rruga Taulantia 32 Durrës AL, Durrës 2000, Albania
Originally opened in 1951, the tri-level Durrës Archaeological Museum, near the waterfront and the city’s 6th-century walls, benefited from a four-year overhaul started in 2010. The country’s largest such museum, it’s the place to engage with wave...
What cognac is to France, Skënderbeu grape brandy is to Albania, an enduring iconic product of the nation. Located on the road to Tirana, the Skënderbeu Cantina is the only one with a government permit. In the distillery, guests taste brandies...
Sheshi Skënderbej, Tiranë, Albania
A mere 50 kilometers from Durrës, the Albanian capital, Tirana, is anchored by the massive Skanderbeg Square, with the Et'hem Bey Mosque and its adjoining clock tower symbols of the city. The National Museum of History covers everything from...
Rruga Mihal Komnena 5001, Berat, Albania
Easily explored on foot, the Ottoman hilltop town of Berat, a UNESCO World Heritage Site inland from Durrës, is known as the "town of a thousand windows” for its white houses on cobblestone streets that lead to the still-inhabited stone Kala...
Rruga Tafiliceve, Shkodër, Albania
The town of Shkodër, Albania’s third-largest, lies on a huge lake of the same name that is shared with neighboring Montenegro. Its old town merits the journey for its many mosques and churches, and for its handsome, newly pedestrianized main...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum