Dawson Top 5
Collected by Amanda Castleman , AFAR Local Expert
This impressive cultural center—aka “Long Ago House”—honors the First Nations heritage of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in people. Contemporary in design, the building evokes the traditional winter shelters and drying racks of the area. Exhibits explore life...
1001 Fourth Avenue, Dawson, YT Y0B 1G0, Canada
Named for Dawson City’s most famous gold-rush dance-hall queen, Canada’s first casino has been laying on a warm welcome and period charm since 1971. The building itself has been a social hub since 1901, when the Arctic Brotherhood constructed it...
600 Firth Street, Box 389, Dawson, YT Y0B 1G0, Canada
Born in the Oakland slums, Jack London ran away to sea on a sealing ship and eventually washed up in the Klondike as a prospector. These years inspired some of the American author’s best-loved works, including White Fang and The Call of the Wild....
Dawson, YT Y0B 1G0, Canada
Part of a proposed Klondike UNESCO site, these Parks Canada attractions include colorful frontier buildings and the Bonanza Creek Discovery Claim that sparked the gold stampede of 1898. Nearby looms North America’s largest wooden-hull bucket-line...
Fifth Ave, Dawson, YT Y0B 1G0, Canada
Rugged peaks and abundant wildlife grace this 2,200-square-kilometer (849-square-mile) wilderness pierced by the Dempster Highway. At the south end, follow river valleys among alpine tundra and dramatic rock formations. To the north, glimpse a...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019