Cruising the Tagus River
Collected by Nelson Carvalheiro, AFAR Local Expert
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisboa, Portugal
Located west of central Lisbon, Torre de Belém is a trip best done by metro or taxi. Once there, climb the steps that date back to the 16th century and get a bird’s-eye view of the Portuguese capital. Some of its neighbors will make venturing into...
Praça do Império 1400-206 Lisboa, 1400-206 Lisboa, Portugal
The churches in Portugal are uniquely beautiful in a way that is is ornate but not flashy or gilded. The Manueline style of architecture used to build the St. Jeronimos Monastery was a transitional style that combined Renaissance and Gothic...
Av. Cristo Rei 27A, 2800-056 Pragal, Portugal
Erected by Portugal in thanks for having been spared direct involvement in WWII, the monument of Christ, rising above the Santuário Nacional de Cristo Rei and overlooking the city, is like a smaller brother to the one in Rio. Although many say...
Ponte 25 de Abril, Lisboa, Portugal
Frequently compared to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, the Ponte 25 de Abril is named for the Carnation Revolution of April 25, 1974, which ended 40 years of military dictatorship in Portugal. Connecting Lisbon to the suburb of Almada, the...
R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo, 1100-129 Lisboa, Portugal
The Castelo de São Jorge, is one of the Alfama neighborhood’s most historically significant monuments. Plan a visit late in the afternoon so that you can explore every nook and cranny and learn about the castle’s abundant...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna