Cruising the Tagus River
Collected by Nelson Carvalheiro , AFAR Local Expert
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisboa, Portugal
Belém's impressive, UNESCO-listed tower is shrugged off by some as much ado about nothing, but it's a remarkably preserved piece of a much grander a 14th Century puzzle. Although it now sits majestically on the shore where the Tejo river...
Praça do Império 1400-206 Lisboa, 1400-206 Lisboa, Portugal
Few buildings in Lisbon command as much attention as this 16th-century masterpiece, which stretches across the Belém landscape like an endless exclamation point to Portugal’s Age of Discovery greatness. The UNESCO-listed monastery is...
Av. do Cristo Rei 27A, 2800-056 Almada, Portugal
Erected by Portugal in thanks for having been spared direct involvement in WWII, the monument of Christ, rising above the Santuário Nacional de Cristo Rei and overlooking the city, is like a smaller brother to the one in Rio. Although many say...
Ponte 25 de Abril, Lisboa, Portugal
Frequently compared to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, the Ponte 25 de Abril is named for the Carnation Revolution of April 25, 1974, which ended 40 years of military dictatorship in Portugal. Connecting Lisbon to the suburb of Almada, the...
R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo, 1100-129 Lisboa, Portugal
The Castelo de São Jorge, is one of the Alfama neighborhood’s most historically significant monuments. Plan a visit late in the afternoon so that you can explore every nook and cranny and learn about the castle’s abundant...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum