Cruising the Tagus River
Collected by Nelson Carvalheiro , AFAR Local Expert
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisboa, Portugal
Located west of central Lisbon, Torre de Belém is a trip best done by metro or taxi. Once there, climb the steps that date back to the 16th century and get a bird’s-eye view of the Portuguese capital. Some of its neighbors will make venturing into...
Praça do Império 1400-206 Lisboa, 1400-206 Lisboa, Portugal
Few buildings in Lisbon command as much attention as this 16th-century masterpiece, which stretches across the Belém landscape like an endless exclamation point to Portugal’s Age of Discovery greatness. The UNESCO-listed monastery is...
Av. do Cristo Rei 27A, 2800-056 Almada, Portugal
Erected by Portugal in thanks for having been spared direct involvement in WWII, the monument of Christ, rising above the Santuário Nacional de Cristo Rei and overlooking the city, is like a smaller brother to the one in Rio. Although many say...
Ponte 25 de Abril, Lisboa, Portugal
Frequently compared to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, the Ponte 25 de Abril is named for the Carnation Revolution of April 25, 1974, which ended 40 years of military dictatorship in Portugal. Connecting Lisbon to the suburb of Almada, the...
R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo, 1100-129 Lisboa, Portugal
The Castelo de São Jorge, is one of the Alfama neighborhood’s most historically significant monuments. Plan a visit late in the afternoon so that you can explore every nook and cranny and learn about the castle’s abundant...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May