Collected by Catherine Barozzi
Jian Guo Xi Lu, Shanghai Shi, China
I was in Shanghai for work, but decided to do a bit of exploring for soup dumplings. I came across this place via a local food blogger and decided to try it out. It was quite honestly, incredible. The place is pretty small, with only a handful of...
临9 Zhong Lou Wan Hu Tong, Andingmen, Dongcheng Qu, Beijing Shi, China, 100007
The old hutongs [alleys] near Drum Tower are lined with nameless snack shops selling what I call Chinese fast food. One staple is shui jiao, which are boiled dumplings typically filled with pork and fennel. You dip them in vinegar and soy sauce...
536 Nanjing Rd Pedestrian St, NanJing Lu, Huangpu Qu, Shanghai Shi, China, 200000
Shanghai is known for seasonal foods such as hairy crab in the fall and mooncakes during the Mid-Autumn Festival. But if you’ve missed these dates, you can still sample a Shanghai delicacy: the pork "mooncake" (xianrou bing)—if you're willing to...
399 Lujiabang Rd, Huangpu Qu, Shanghai Shi, China, 200000
Shanghai tailors are the best in the world, says fashion designer Christy Holzer, whose label, Dowry Designs, was inspired by the city. She suggests visiting the South Bund fabric market to order custom garments. DRESS: STALL 308 “A fun style to...
- 1History + CultureThe Tea Capital of Europe Isn’t Where You Think It Is
- 2Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 3Where to Go in FallAn Expert Guide to Working Remotely and Traveling the World
- 4MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights
- 5History + CultureIntimate Portraits of Women Who Live as Men in Remote Albania