Chicago North Shore
Collected by Kim Fortson, AFAR Contributor
Highland Park, IL 60035, USA
Every year around Halloween the family heads over to the gardens to take in the fresh air and changing colors. The spooky doggy day parade is our family ritual. Its the one day the gardens allows dogs in. Dude, our chocolate lab, has a field day!
1000 Lake Cook Rd, Glencoe, IL 60022, USA
Far from the madding crowd, Japan has quietly nestled in Illinois. There are other Japanese gardens in the U.S., but here—this is another kind of serenity. There is a zigzag bridge, and small huts with notes that explain how bonsai works. The lake...
Chicago, IL 60626, USA
Pick up your morning coffee at one of the many local coffee shops, and walk to Rogers Beach (known by locals as Lighthouse Beach). The sunrise over Lake Michigan is stunning! Locals fish off the lighthouse pier in the early morning semi-darkness....
100 Linden Ave, Wilmette, IL 60091, USA
While visiting family in Chicago, my cousin and I went for a drive and came across this intricately carved structure just north of the city. The Baha'i Temple in Wilmette is an unexpectedly stately building on the shores of Lake Michigan. With...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December