Chicago North Shore
Collected by Kim Fortson , AFAR Contributor
Highland Park, IL 60035, USA
Every year around Halloween the family heads over to the gardens to take in the fresh air and changing colors. The spooky doggy day parade is our family ritual. Its the one day the gardens allows dogs in. Dude, our chocolate lab, has a field day!
1000 Lake Cook Rd, Glencoe, IL 60022, USA
Far from the madding crowd, Japan has quietly nestled in Illinois. There are other Japanese gardens in the U.S., but here—this is another kind of serenity. There is a zigzag bridge, and small huts with notes that explain how bonsai works. The lake...
7705 N Eastlake Terrace, Chicago, IL 60626, USA
Pick up your morning coffee at one of the many local coffee shops, and walk to Rogers Beach (known by locals as Lighthouse Beach). The sunrise over Lake Michigan is stunning! Locals fish off the lighthouse pier in the early morning semi-darkness....
100 Linden Ave, Wilmette, IL 60091, USA
While visiting family in Chicago, my cousin and I went for a drive and came across this intricately carved structure just north of the city. The Baha'i Temple in Wilmette is an unexpectedly stately building on the shores of Lake Michigan. With...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 4 Natural Wonders A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico