Collected by Beth Callahan
Av. Domínguez Ruiz 300, San Jacinto, 29160 Chiapa de Corzo, Chis., Mexico
Chiapa de Corzo’s Fiesta de Los Parachicos is held every January, and is part of a month-long celebration known as Fiesta Grande. The Parachicos celebration has been named by UNESCO as an item of intangible cultural heritage and is often described...
Santo Tomás, 29160 Chiapa de Corzo, Chis., Mexico
During the ParaChico's festival, in January 2012, I snapped this photo of a group of women headed down the street to join the parades of men dressed in brush hats, blue-eyed masks, and colorful capes. For an entire week, huge groups of people...
Periférico Norte 4, Ojo de Agua, 29220 San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chis., Mexico
One of the highlights of any trip to San Cristobal de las Casas is a visit to the Orquideas Moxviquil. Cisco Dietz, the owner, is a most knowledgeable person and is in love with rare plants. He designed and built the green house (pictured) for the...
Catch a boat tour from Chiapa de Corzo to see the Canyon del Sumidero. It is a spectacular ride through narrow canyons with cliff walls that rise as high as 1000 meters straight up. Along the edges you'll see crocodiles, buzzards and occasionally...
Cementerio, San Sebastián, Chamula, Chis., Mexico
Imagine your favorite church. Now remove the furniture, and put in a carpet of fragrant soft pine needles. Then light it up with tens of thousands of candles and enormous bouquets of local flowers. Breathtaking. In this indigenous village outside...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter