Cherbourg's Top 5
Collected by Travis Marshall , AFAR Local Expert
45 Rue Jallot, 50440 Beaumont-Hague, France
West of Cherbourg, the Cape of La Hague is a rugged, wind- and wave-swept promontory famous for its beautiful landscapes. Take a half-day trip here to explore traditional Normandy villages tucked among hidden valleys and atop soaring sea cliffs....
Rue du Bienvenu, 14400 Bayeux, France
The first town in France liberated after the D-Day invasion was never damaged, so Bayeux’s historic sites remain wonderfully intact. The most famous attraction here is the Bayeux Tapestry, in the Bayeux Museum. The unique embroidered cloth is 70...
La Madeleine, 50480 Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, France
About an hour’s drive from Cherbourg are the beaches where thousands of Allied troops landed on D-Day, overrunning the German emplacements, and ultimately turning the tide of World War II. At Utah Beach and the village of Sainte Marie du Mont, you...
Allée du Président Menut, 50100 Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, France
This fantastic maritime museum in the cruise terminal on Cherbourg’s waterfront has exhibits showcasing local history, marine science and human ingenuity exploring the sea. Among the exhibits is Le Redoutable, the world’s largest submarine open to...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum