Cherbourg's Top 5
Collected by Travis Marshall, AFAR Local Expert
45 Rue Jallot, 50440 Beaumont-Hague, France
West of Cherbourg, the Cape of La Hague is a rugged, wind- and wave-swept promontory famous for its beautiful landscapes. Take a half-day trip here to explore traditional Normandy villages tucked among hidden valleys and atop soaring sea cliffs....
Rue du Bienvenu, 14400 Bayeux, France
The first town in France liberated after the D-Day invasion was never damaged, so Bayeux’s historic sites remain wonderfully intact. The most famous attraction here is the Bayeux Tapestry, in the Bayeux Museum. The unique embroidered cloth is 70...
La Madeleine, 50480 Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, France
About an hour’s drive from Cherbourg are the beaches where thousands of Allied troops landed on D-Day, overrunning the German emplacements, and ultimately turning the tide of World War II. At Utah Beach and the village of Sainte Marie du Mont, you...
Allée du Président Menut, 50100 Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, France
This fantastic maritime museum in the cruise terminal on Cherbourg’s waterfront has exhibits showcasing local history, marine science and human ingenuity exploring the sea. Among the exhibits is Le Redoutable, the world’s largest submarine open to...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 4 Where to Go in Winter Why You Should Go to New York City This Winter
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter