Charming Stops along the Danube
Collected by Ann Shields , AFAR Staff
Rathauspl. 11, 3390 Melk, Austria
Melk’s most famous attraction, the magnificent Melk Abbey, sits on a bluff beside the Danube at the very spot where the ancient Romans once erected a fortress. The immense yellow Baroque structure—once a Babenberg palace, now an active seminary...
Rudnayovo námestie 1, 811 01 Bratislava-Staré Mesto, Slovakia
Bratislava’s architectural stock blends medieval stone buildings, grand 18th- and 19th-century palaces, many grim and boxy reminders of the Soviet era, and some whimsical and sleek modern edifices, all overseen by the dignified castle on the hill...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May