Charming Stops along the Danube
Collected by Ann Shields , AFAR Staff
Rathauspl. 11, 3390 Melk, Austria
Melk’s most famous attraction, the magnificent Melk Abbey, sits on a bluff beside the Danube at the very spot where the ancient Romans once erected a fortress. The immense yellow Baroque structure—once a Babenberg palace, now an active seminary...
Rudnayovo námestie 1, 811 01 Bratislava-Staré Mesto, Slovakia
Bratislava’s architectural stock blends medieval stone buildings, grand 18th- and 19th-century palaces, many grim and boxy reminders of the Soviet era, and some whimsical and sleek modern edifices, all overseen by the dignified castle on the hill...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum