Collected by Debbie Joseph
Alfred House Rd, Colombo, Sri Lanka
A black-tiled pool marks the entrance to Geoffrey Bawa’s former office, which now houses the chic Gallery Café. All the Bawa hallmarks are on display here: courtyards, terra-cotta roof tiles, pools, verandahs, and secret nooks. 2 Alfred House Rd.,...
Hospital St, Colombo 00100, Sri Lanka
The recently renovated Dutch Hospital, a colonnaded 17th-century building in the Fort neighborhood, is now a hub for eating and shopping. Ministry of Crab serves fresh crustaceans in peppery sauces. Spa Ceylon sells oils, soaps, and bath gels made...
Rosmead Pl, Colombo 00700, Sri Lanka
Owner Shanth Fernando furnished the 10-suite Tintagel hotel with objects from around the world: Chinese trunks, Nepalese rugs, and lacquer tables from Vietnam. Settle into a rattan chair at the alfresco Courtyard restaurant for a sundowner and a...
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Architect Geoffrey Bawa is best known for his Tropical Modernism design style. Here are some of his buildings around Colombo: The sprawling Sri Lanka Parliament complex highlights Bawa’s fondness for pavilions and colonnaded passages. Sri...
Milagiriya, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Artist Barbara Sansoni launched the brand Barefoot 40 years ago to showcase the island's master textile weavers. Stop by the Galle Road store (it's also a gallery and café) to browse colorful sarongs, scarves, table linens, and shoes. 706 Galle...
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019