Collected by John Oseid, AFAR Local Expert
Haute ville, 20260 Calvi, France
Local legend claims that Christopher Columbus was born inside Calvi’s citadel. Encircled by five bastions built on the granite foundation, and with the fine 13th-century Cathedral of St.-Jean Baptiste at its highest point, the citadel and its...
Nicknamed "the beautiful island" for good reason, Corsica is home to the 60,000-acre, UNESCO-designated Site Naturel de la Vallée du Fango, created in 1977 in the rugged interior just outside of Calvi, and whose terrain rises rapidly from sea...
Clos Landry, 20260 Calvi, France
Wine has been made in Corsica for 2,500 years, and vineyards in the Corse-Calvi appellation are among the island’s best, thanks to fertile lands and a microclimate created by its location between the sea and high mountains. Founded in 1900 at the...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys