Collected by John Oseid , AFAR Local Expert
Haute ville, 20260 Calvi, France
Local legend claims that Christopher Columbus was born inside Calvi’s citadel. Encircled by five bastions built on the granite foundation, and with the fine 13th-century Cathedral of St.-Jean Baptiste at its highest point, the citadel and its...
Nicknamed "the beautiful island" for good reason, Corsica is home to the 60,000-acre, UNESCO-designated Site Naturel de la Vallée du Fango, created in 1977 in the rugged interior just outside of Calvi, and whose terrain rises rapidly from sea...
Clos Landry, 20260 Calvi, France
Wine has been made in Corsica for 2,500 years, and vineyards in the Corse-Calvi appellation are among the island’s best, thanks to fertile lands and a microclimate created by its location between the sea and high mountains. Founded in 1900 at the...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Art The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum