Collected by John Oseid , AFAR Local Expert
Haute ville, 20260 Calvi, France
Local legend claims that Christopher Columbus was born inside Calvi’s citadel. Encircled by five bastions built on the granite foundation, and with the fine 13th-century Cathedral of St.-Jean Baptiste at its highest point, the citadel and its...
Nicknamed "the beautiful island" for good reason, Corsica is home to the 60,000-acre, UNESCO-designated Site Naturel de la Vallée du Fango, created in 1977 in the rugged interior just outside of Calvi, and whose terrain rises rapidly from sea...
Clos Landry, 20260 Calvi, France
Wine has been made in Corsica for 2,500 years, and vineyards in the Corse-Calvi appellation are among the island’s best, thanks to fertile lands and a microclimate created by its location between the sea and high mountains. Founded in 1900 at the...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Happiest Country Is All About Reading, Coffee, and Saunas
- 2 Natural Wonders “Unbearable” Crowds Force California Town to Restrict Access to Poppy Bloom
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Ongoing Paris Riots
- 4 Natural Wonders California Wildflowers: Where and When to Find Them During the Super Bloom
- 5 Travel News Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Is Opening Soon—Here’s Everything You Need to Know