Collected by David Farley, AFAR Contributor
01030 Calcata Vecchia VT, Italy
Abandoned in the 1960s for fear its cliffs were crumbling, Calcata, Italy was discovered by hippies and artists soon after and today, the "paese dei fricchettone," is still made up of the same "freaks." I lived in Calcata, wedged between Tuscany...
00060 Mazzano Romano RM, Italy
The government said the cliffs of Calcata, a medieval hill town 30 miles north of Rome, where crumbling and the residents would have to abandon the village for a new one a half mile away. They were right. Sort of. There was a government policy,...
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 2, 01030 Calcata Vecchia VT, Italy
The village of Calcata, a 45-minute drive north of Rome, is sleepy during the week. But come on a Saturday or Sunday and you'll find a scene like this in the hill town's main piazza: Roman day trippers mingling around the marble-bench-lined square...
01030 Calcata Nuova VT, Italy
Before I knew any better, when someone in Calcata would ask where I lived in the village, I’d tell them the address, Via Garibaldi 23. In return, I’d get a blank stare. Since Calcata has less than a dozen lanes, I was initially baffled by people’s...
00060 Mazzano Romano, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy
In Calcata, a medieval hill town about 30 miles north of Rome, a sign on a mailbox gave me pause. And made me reach for my Italian-English dictionary. Loosely translated, it reads: "Don't pee here or I will hurt you badly." Point taken. Maybe...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now